Saturday, October 4, 2008

Plant Life

My plants are growing. They’re really growing. I’ve got some heirloom tomato sprouts; I have five leaves on my burgeoning basil bush and a fledgling basil bush pushing through the pebbly soil towards the sunlight. I’ve got five bushels of cilantro growing in a corner of my yard just waiting for a looming fiesta. Well, I had five bushels of cilantro until an herbivore farm animal (a goat, cow, or possibly a donkey) came into my yard and ate them--probably as a sidedish to the tree that it devoured-- but they’re growing back. I have baby mint. Mint! I can smell the mojitos. I’ve even got some non-edible plants happening. My house is starting to look like a home. I’m settling. I’m nesting. It seems that I’m growing, after a failed gardening attempt and an even more hilarious exercise in trying to clear my own yard, it’s all starting to come together and that’s a relief.

No comments: