Wednesday, November 5, 2008

F'real? No! Is it?


I'm sporting my Obama For Yo' Mama t-shirt. I can't believe it. I cannot believe it. On the left side of my tee, is the pin with the American and Batswana flags that the Peace Corps gave us the day we swore in. I just can't believe it. I'm tired. I'm wearing a full face of makeup, fake eyelashes and all. I cried most of the morning. I didn't sleep last night. I've been watching the news at my Counterpart's house since 5:30am. I've spent over P100 in airtime calling home, and unfortunately, I wasn't there for history, but I'm floored. I just don't believe it. Part of me is happy to be away from home in Botswana. In Botswana, depending on what region you're in (how rural) there's a big range of knowledge about Black people in America. Its not uncommon for people in more urban areas to call me a nigga and think its a good thing. I get to explain to people that when my grandparents got married, they weren't allowed to vote. It was illegal. But now Barack Obama will be the next president of the United States of America. I just can't believe it. People in my village are constantly asking me about it. Congratulating me, mostly. I still can't believe it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

we're all in disbelief back home too, TL.

Regina Renee said...

Tatum,
It is absolutely surreal. I cried all night long and spent more time on the phone than I usually do in an entire month. I wish my daddy had lived long enough to see this.