Saturday, August 9, 2008

Katydid

There was an insect on my living room floor. In LA, I’d call it a cricket, in China I’d call it good luck, but here I call it disturbing. I’m far from squeamish when it comes to bugs, but I couldn’t crush this mini being. If this is what Buddhist monks on the countryside of austere monasteries are faced with I see why they refuse to trounce them. They might trounce back. This animal kept running from the quarter that I put beside him for scale so I cut and paste it closer. Still, this picture doesn’t do him justice. It qualifies as a rodent by sheer size and I was afraid it would bleed if I smushed it. Death by Doom didn’t work so I swept him outside with a broom. This beats the time I fell asleep beside my mosquito net, not under it. I swatted a mosquito on my cheek that turned out to be a roach.

No comments: